Best SUV Tents For Camping That Meets Your Need
Camping is a great fun activity. Be it with friends or family; if you have got the right accessories, then you are good to go.
Nowadays, it has become a common trend of planning car travels with families and friends. Though it sounds exciting, there is always one query that pops up with regards to accommodation when in the outdoors. Are you one among them who wish to travel around with your SUV?
Then an SUV camping tent can be your perfect partner for your journey. SUV tents can offer your great comfort during your dream journey. As SUVs are known to easily reach remote areas, it saves both time and energy.
Otherwise, trekking or hiking can take long hours or even days. Having a car also helps with recharging your gadgets. You can make use of electric coolers, heaters, and cooking ovens using your car battery.
Here, we have reviewed the 8 best SUV tents available in the market. Also, go through the buyer’s guide to find out which SUV tent would be your perfect camping shelter.
So hurry up! Start planning for a camping spot today.
8 Best SUV Tents For Camping:
|Name||Image||Rating||Where To Buy|
|SUV Tailgate Tent for Camping||4.7/5|
|Napier Backroadz SUV Tent||4.9/5|
|Car Tail Awning Sun Shelter Trailer Tent||4.1/5|
|Hasika Tailgate Shade Awning Tent For SUVs||4.0/5|
|KingCamp SUV Tent||4.1/5|
|UBOWAY Awning Sun Shelter Trailer Tent||3.8/5|
|Napier Sportz Cove 61000 SUV Tailgate Tent||4.5/5|
|KingCamp Rooftop Tent for SUV||4.8/5|
1. SUV Tailgate Tent for Camping (5 Persons)
The first on our list of SUV tents is a well-designed and spacious camp shelter. This tent lets you experience camping in a big SUV.
Tailgate tent from “Patio Joy” is available in different models and sizes. The tent comes with a standard dimension: 14 x 7 x 9 ft. which makes it pretty spacious and comfortable for camping.
In addition to this, this tent has a mud matt.
- It comes with High-quality zipper doors.
- Provides spacious area which can accommodate up to 5 individuals.
- Its perfect design makes it easy to connect to your car.
- Added vestibules offer an ample amount of ventilation.
- Rainfly gives extra water protection.
- Very spacious and comfortable.
- It offers a screened room.
- Comes with mud matt.
- Easy to set up & perfect for beginners.
- Dome-shaped roof makes only the center high.
- Perfect for only moderately sized SUVs.
2. Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
The next tent on our list can provide the utmost comfort and luxury after a long day’s travel. The Napier Backroadz SUV Tent can be attached to the rear of most mid to full-sized SUVs and minivans.
The universal fit design makes it a perfect travel companion to provide excellent shelter from the sun, rain, and dust. Backroadz comes with a size of 9×9 ft.
Furthermore, this tailgate tent comes with a portable canopy which gives you complete privacy and protection during different weather conditions. No doubt this tent can make your camping memorable and happy.
And this is undoubtedly one of the best SUV tents.
- It has the Universal model that fits mid-to-full-sized minivans and SUVs.
- Provides perfect shelter from the sun with over two feet awning.
- The mesh screen prevents bugs from entering the vehicle.
- It comes with a storm flap to tackle different weather conditions.
- They provide a storage bag and a lantern holder.
- Set up process is extremely easy.
- This tent is budget-friendly.
- Quite easy to carry around as it is lightweight.
- This tent has a perfect ventilation setup and a mesh door.
- Chances for water leakage during heavy rain or storms.
- Only adjusts two adults.
3. Car Tail Awning Sun Shelter Trailer Tent
Especially meant for outdoor camping lovers, this high-quality tent has the capacity to deliver much more than you think. It will provide you rest after a long day of travel, so you can relax with family or co-travelers and admire the beauty of nature.
The car tents have now become an unavoidable factor in any road trip. They are pretty reasonable when it comes to price but very productive when you check the efficiency.
Car Tail Awning Sun Shelter Trailer Tent is a three in one tent which is scratch-proof, water-proof, and tear-proof. The trailer awning offers a well-shaded area outside, which can be used for multipurpose activities like cooking, dining, etc. Even the canopy provides enough shade to plan up and enjoy outdoor activities.
Now, let’s dive into some of the best features of this tent:
- This tent offers a big sunshade area: the car canopy makes the picnic spot lively, where you can accommodate a table or three to four chairs according to your requirement.
- The extended shaded area outside with the trailer awning.
- High-quality mesh with wind rope and the ground nail can be used as a perfect sky curtain or arbor.
- Compact and lightweight.
- Easy and quick to set up.
- Perfect shelter for any climatic conditions.
- Large sunshade space.
- It’s a little unsteady during strong wind.
- Stakes are of poor quality.
4. Hasika Tailgate Shade Awning Tent For SUVs
While checking out for tents, you need to always consider some factors; whether the material is waterproof, is easy to install, and is perfect for all weather conditions. Also, the price of the tent should be affordable.
If you are looking for a budget-friendly tent for your SUV, Hasika Tailgate Shade Awning Tent is the right one for you. The perfect design of the tent makes it a custom fit for any vehicle like minivans or SUVs.
The mesh screen gives complete protection from small bugs and insects. The storm flap is ideal for any weather conditions.
- It comes with a perfect mesh screen.
- They offer a carry bag and storage bag, which makes it convenient to carry easily.
- Integrated storm flap provides more protection and privacy.
- It offers great shelter from the sun with an awning of 2 feet.
- Universal–fit canopy shades make it a perfect fit for SUVs, CUVs, and minivans.
- Very easy to set up. You can set it up within minutes.
- Very affordable and much easy to use.
- It perfectly fits any vehicles like SUVs and CUVs.
- The straps which hold the tent to the wheels seem slightly week.
- It does not come with an instruction.
5. KingCamp SUV Tent
If we need to create perfect memories during travels, we should plan for a camping trip followed by a road trip. It’s a beautiful and different experience to sleep under the trees, and waking up to a fine and refreshing morning with natural sunlight accompanied by a fresh breeze.
But, to experience this, you will definitely need a travel partner.
A good SUV tent can be the right one. King Camp is one of the best providers of great outdoor gears to different parts of the world. This tent by King Camp comes with a standard size of 124 x 84.6 inches which can easily accommodate 2-3 people.
The fabric is waterproof up to PU2000mm. It comes with excellent fittings like glass fiber poles, iron pipe poles, guy ropes, ground steel nails, and tendon ropes to maintain stability.
- Multipurpose: They are apt for any vehicle’s SUV, MPV, or even other flat rear boxes.
- The sides are held by iron pipe brackets.
- The fabric is waterproof up to PU2000mm, to a short period of moderate rain.
- It comes with a 365 days manufacturer’s warranty.
- Can be connected with other tents.
- Much easy to set up.
- The encrypted 150D Oxford cloth fabric increases its durability.
- Not suitable for climatic conditions like heavy rain and wind.
- Tent poles are not strong enough.
6. UBOWAY Awning Sun Shelter Trailer Tent
Travelling is all about excitement. A journey with camping is even more exciting. It offers a great experience to explore the place and spend some quality time with friends and family.
It gives you ample opportunities to plan so many other activities like BBQs, partying, picnics, etc. These are possible if only you have a durable tent of excellent quality.
UBOWAY Awning Sun Shelter is something stylish and meets any camping requirements. This is a wonderful tent that comes with a large sunshade where you can easily make space for a comfortable seating area, a place for kids, a cooler space, or even a place for your pets.
It is specially constructed with a rain-resistant design. The extra sky window is an added advantage that provides proper ventilation.
- It comes in a 24 x 6.3 x 6-inch size.
- Extra sky window to keep the area more ventilated.
- These tents are waterproof and rainproof.
- It comes with a large sidewall which is perfect for reducing billowing in the wind,
- Free sandbags are another highlight of this tent. Each sandbag can easily hold enough sand, which is fixed on the legs to increase the tent’s stability.
- Fantastic tent made with high-quality material.
- Very easy to assemble.
- The sandbags provide extra stability for the tent.
- They are lightweight and so much easy to carry.
- The stitching quality of the tent could have been better
- Require at least two people to set up perfectly.
7. Napier Sportz Cove 61000 SUV Tailgate Tent
SUV tents are available in different types and sizes nowadays. And so, choosing one that suits your SUV is pretty easy.
This particular car tent from Napier Sportz comes with all the salient features like scratch-proof, water-proof, and tear-proof, which are necessary for a perfect camping tent. The trailer awning provides a great shaded area outside, which offers enough space for different activities.
While planning for camping at your dream destination, one of the most important things to be carried along is a good quality camping tent. This can provide the utmost comfort and luxury after a long day’s travel.
The Napier Sportz Cove 61000 Easy Setup SUV Tailgate Tent can be attached to the rear of most mid to full-size SUVs and minivans.
- Instant popup technology helps in easy setup within 2minutes.
- It comes with ample space of 25 x 6.5 x 6.5 inches, which can accommodate up to5 adults.
- The tent works with a hatchback vehicle or even without a vehicle as a standalone. And so, it can be used for multipurpose including parties, picnics, sports and more.
- It also has a bonus awning and rainfly.
- Very easy to setup.
- Awning canopy.
- No assembling poles to confuse while setting up.
- Can accommodate up to five adults.
- Strong winds may make the tent less efficient or unstable.
- Setting up is a bit time-consuming—proper instructions need to be followed to set up.
8. KingCamp Rooftop Tent for SUV
The last tent on our list of best SUV tents is the most unique among all the SUV tents we have covered. KingCamp rooftop camping tent takes only 3 seconds to set up. The pitching of the tent is fully automated.
This roof-top tent is more like a portable treehouse. It keeps you safe at night if you’re camping in the woods or desert. If you are camping with your beloved partner, this rooftop tent will surely buy you some nice comfortable private time.
The hard shell built from pure aluminum gives the tent its strength and durability. KingCamp Roof Tent accommodates two people with ample space and storage. A soft cotton mattress takes away all the tiredness from the journey.
- 2 side mesh window to provide proper ventilation.
- Provides spacious area which can accommodate up to 5 persons.
- Perfect design makes it easy to connect to the car.
- Aluminum alloy ladder for climbing.
- Hydraulic lever pitches the tent automatically.
- ABS Shell.
- Very spacious and comfortable.
- It offers a screened room.
- Comes with a 40D foam mattress.
- It has a PU3000 water-proof rating.
- You have to climb up the ladder.
Best SUV Tents For Camping: Buyer’s Guide
Before you buy your SUV tent for camping, you should take different factors into consideration, so that you make the right choice according to your needs. Here are some factors to watch out for:
The larger the floor space, the more people you are able to fit in with. The tent acts as an extension of your car and therefore if you get a tent that has more floor space, you can make room for equipment and materials to increase your comfort.
Depending on how much space there is in the back of your car trailer, the size of your SUV tent should be able to match that in order to conserve material. Although, tents with larger floor space are best recommended when you are traveling with more people.
SUV tents are available as both hatchback tents and standalone tents, so keep an eye out for such features.
Comfort while sleeping is important for preserving energy. If you are unable to do so then chances are you won’t feel energetic or enthusiastic while on your camping trips.
Your tent should have enough space to make your living comfortable. You can opt for sleeping on the trailer of your car or on the floor of your tent but the prior should be more comfortable and easier to set up.
If your tent is on the ground then you may get the natural feel of camping outdoors, but the unevenness could put you at unease. In such cases, buy a tent with padded floors to increase your comfort.
These days vehicles come in several ranges varying in their shape, size and design. Car tents and SUV tents are manufactured so as to mirror the size of these cars and their variations.
Most hatchback tents are capable of fitting any minivan, SUV, sedan, and so on. Although, these tents would come along with a max capacity of people they can accommodate. On average the maximum number of people a hutch back tent can house could go up to five to six people.
Ideally, the best tent based on size would be one that covers the back of your car and functions as a mesh wall between you and the outdoors.
Similar to buying the right camping gear, you need a tent made of material that lasts long even after several uses. If your tent is made out of cheap plastic poles and flimsy sheets, chances are that you would have an uncomfortable camping experience.
Or worse, your tent won’t be able to protect you from the elements or any damage to your equipment. Tents blended with polyester and nylon tend to last longer, are lightweight, and easier to clean.
These materials are also waterproof so you can rest assured that you and your equipment would remain dry under heavy rain.
A tent without any ventilation is not best suited for living. It is important to let in an influx of cool fresh air into your tent in order to establish appropriate living conditions.
SUVs and large vehicles aren’t usually airtight but there is a chance of carbon monoxide accumulation if there isn’t a flow of air. A proper SUV tent would act as a mesh cover over the back of your car, with added windows that let air in and the pests out.
It is best recommended to choose a tent with multiple covered windows and ventilation shafts so as to regulate the temperature in your tent.
Most tents these days are made to be waterproof as it is common knowledge to protect yourself from moisture while in the outdoors. Again, the amount of waterproofing varies among tents.
There is also the risk of vaporized moisture collecting on the inside of your tent therefore before buying one, check out the waterproof rating. The higher the rating, the more your tent would be able to withstand the moisture pressure.
In case of sudden storms or rain, you should also be able to seal off your tent from your car, although tents with higher waterproofing can protect you from the same.
The primary determinant of any purchasing decision is of course – the pricing. Then again, it is not necessary to purchase something super expensive in order to get the value for your money. You needn’t opt for something too cheap either as such purchases would lack assurance.
While keeping affordability in mind, a tent that is designed to fulfill all of the needs mentioned in this guide in a balanced ratio can be presumed to be the ideal buy.
On average, SUV tents within the price of 150 to 400$ would be just the right purchase for your tenting needs.
Truck tents are strictly compatible with trucks and no other vehicle on the road. Whereas SUV tents are compatible with SUVs, CUVs, sedans, and minivans. These tents were intended for universal use.
Though many tents have their fixed size charts for specific models. A perfect SUV tent would fit any model whatsoever. To ensure the fit you can further utilize magnets that are heavy duty.
If you are using multiple vehicles one or two five-person SUV tents would be sufficient for everyone. Demand for SUV tents has increased because they are replacing family tents.
SUV tents that come with storage space are perfect for maximizing living space and gear storage. It can help you stay organized and enjoy some more room.
Look for the options that come with storage space so that you can enjoy a comfortable journey.
Some SUV tents can also be used as standalone tents. You can also carry them when you are going on a traditional camping trip without a car. It saves money for another tent.
The versatility of SUV tents makes them interesting and popular. Nowadays, campers are opting for SUV tents over regular camp shelters for additional convenience.
I hope this guide would be helpful for you to choose your best SUV tent for camping. If you any doubts related to the purchase, don’t hesitate to ask me in the comment section below.
People Also Read:
Best Camping Tents For Families
Best Camping Tents For Rainy Season